Friday, May 1, 2009

MM- awkward.

This is the story of the most awkward office relationship ever. by emily.

Let me explain the set up of the office. I sit at a luxurious mahogany desk that faces the elevators. Every time the elevator dings I look up to see who gets off. classic pavlov.

If I want to go the restroom, I walk by another office with big glass doors.

One unsuspecting victim is always in my line of view, and I always manage to look even when I'm trying not to look.

When Marni started working here, I told her about our neighbors including unsuspecting victim. She begins looking into their office every time as well. Then the debate starts, "how old is he?" I said about 27. Marni said about 33.
We were arguing about it one day and Cristobal (Dwight) decides to find out for us.

20 MINUTES LATER.
Cristobal: Well his name is MM. He is a self-proclaimed nerd, he has a nice southern accent, he graduated from an Ivy league school and he enjoys long walks on the beach. He's 28.
Emily: what did you say??? the creepy girls down the hall wanted to know???
Cristobal: Eh... not important.
Marni: he's going to think we are stalkers!

At the end of the day, MM comes to the elevator lobby, looks at me, and waves with the facial expression of "did you really send your boss into my office to find out about me?"

After this incident, he started to wave every time he got off the elevator.

Until one fateful day.......

Marni and I were walking to the restroom. MM and co-worker came out of the office. Showdown in the hallway. We've never spoken. We've only waved. What do we do?
He said "hey, how are you?" While I mumbled some unintelligible response, Marni actually responded coherently, as any normal person should.

There is a small sliver of space in the elevator lobby that I can not see from my desk.
After this "showdown in the hallway", MM hid in this space. No wave. Nothing.
At one point he had to catch an elevator that is in my view and he literally ducked his head and scurried in.
But it's not just me, it's Marni too.
She left the building one day and saw him outside, he looked up and almost smiled as he recognized her, until he realized who it was, then quickly looked at the ground and turned around.

We have created a monster. And it appears to be irreversible.

What emily forgot to mention. by marni.

There was one event that emily didn't mention, that I think is the real catalyst for the awkwardness with MM.

One day emily is on the phone with a customer. the elevator dings, and of course she looks up to see who it is. I sit directly across from emily. from where I sit, I can't see the person that has just exited the elevator. all I see is emily a little too quickly and eagerly stand up, wave, and sit back down. just then the person comes into my line of vision. it's MM!

emily hangs up the phone.

marni: EMILY! did you just stand up to wave to MM?
emily: what? NO!
marni: uh...yes you did! I saw you!
emily: no! I was just standing up to straighten my skirt!
marni: well, I think you should know from where I sit, it sure looked like to stood up just to wave to MM...and that's probably what he thinks, too!
emily (blushing and laughing uncontrollably): OH NO!!!!

This occurrence, which from the perspective of all on-lookers (myself and MM) appeared to be an overt display of over-eagerness and desparation, is what I believe really initiated the awkwardness that ensues to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment